Thursday 25 July 2013

A Royal Visit

A few days ago we had a very exciting event in our village - the Queen came to visit us!  It was a scorching hot day and despite wearing hat, gloves and coat she looked very cool and relaxed.

Princess Anne was also with her - The Queen was in green and Anne was wearing yellow.

I couldn't resist this shot of her very coordinated out riders - precision biking!


Yesterday James was working in Keswick, which is about an hour drive from where we live, so my brother in law and I took the opportunity to go with him for a walk and picnic.  Another really hot day.  This is us at Castlerigg Stone Circle - there are the most amazing views from here - a panorama of mountains everywhere you look.  I should have taken some more photos but I was just marvelling at being there!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures of Castlerigg; it is truly a magical place in an incredible setting, though I confess I have not visited in many years. Cumbria has such a wealth of ancient sites - Long Meg in the east of the county is another old favourite haunt of mine from my hippy youth, so too Gamelands stone circle and the concentric circles at Orton; all off the tourist maps but still worth a visit.
    Lovely Blog page - thankyou.
    (Must say I felt a little sorry for The Queen and Princess Anne sweltering in the heat in their coats, hats, gloves whilst we were all cool and comfy in our lightweight cottons and linens!)
    N x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thank you for your suggestions of other local stone circles - I haven't visited those yet but they're on my list now!
    I have some old photos of when I was a Girl Guide and we went camping near Stone Henge - in those days there was no fence and we could just wander around and climb on the stones - I'll dig out the old photos and copy them for you to see - it was 1974 - the good old days!

    ReplyDelete