Tuesday 26 June 2012

Applecross Victorian Walled Garden

This week we're on holiday in the Scottish Highlands.  We come up at least twice a year to stay with my brother in law.  Today I dropped the family off near Torridon so that they could walk up  Liathach and then I had about 6 hours to myself until it was time to pick them up again.  I drove down to Sheildaig on the west coast and had a wander through the village and along the coastline.  There's a super little cafe and craft shop called Nanny's which is in a pale blue tin shed at the end of the village, it's full of local crafts and very friendly.
After that I continued around the coast until I came to Applecross.  There's a Victorian walled garden there which had stood derelict for a good number of years until about 2002 when a group of people started to bring in back to it's full glory.  There's still work to be done but what they have achieved so far is amazingly beautiful.  Here are some photos:




And this is the 'Potting Shed' cafe and restaurant.  I didn't have time to sample their goodies but the menu looked very enticing.

I then completed my circuit and drove over the pass to bring me back down to Torridon where I was
able to sit in the sun with my book and some Apple and Cinnamon cake (from the village shop) awaiting the return of my weary walkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment