Friday 5 April 2013

Fabric Painting

Following on from my last post, when I had dyed a piece of muslin a lovely soft blue, I then did some small pencil drawings to find a simple design that I could decorate my fabric with.

I tried a few different sizes of brush with my fabric paint to see which design would work best.  I decided on the simple grass design using the finest brush and then painted freehand onto the muslin.  I think next time it would be better to stretch the fabric tight on a frame as it kept moving.  When it was dry I used a very hot iron on the reverse side to set the paint.   The piece of fabric is approx 18" wide and 45" long.  There's a selvedge on the short ends and just a frayed edge along the long sides.

This is the finished item and the 'randomness' of size and placement doesn't matter because when it's wrapped around as a scarf it's not noticeable.  However, I prefered the muslin when it hadn't been ironed so I might just dip it in water again to get that crinkled look.
Now, what else can I paint whilst I'm in the mood?

1 comment: