Saturday 19 October 2013

Honister Green Slate


Our new worktop has now been delivered and fitted - it's beautiful!  This photo shows the markings well but it doesn't do justice to the colour;  it's many shades of lovely greens.
I found this information about how slate was formed and thought that you too may find it interesting.
"About 450 million years ago, the area around Honister Slate Mine was in the midst of
considerable volcanic activity. Volcanic ash and lava spread across Central Lakeland and from this the slate was formed. However, the slate was not formed simply from volcanic debris. It is a metamorphosed rock which was subject to strong earth movements millions of years later and this resulted in the parallel layers or veins of slate now lying at angles of thirty degrees below the surface. This metamorphism was caused, it is believed, by the tremendous pressures and increased temperatures exacted on the land masses when the continents collided, creating the unique properties of slate". http://www.honister.com/index.as
Of course I couldn't resist making a couple of little matching coasters for our mugs and also a pan stand - I'm feeling very protective of my new worktop!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Such beautiful slate for your worktops, you lucky girl! Cute coaster... hmmm.... I'm sure I've seen that green spotted cotton somewhere before... perhaps lining a rather lovely bag ;-)

    N x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do believe you're right! I've been saving this small piece as it's really sweet, but it's been amongst others on the shelf and I didn't really see it very often. Now I can look at it everyday.

      Delete