Wednesday 16 October 2013

Kitchen Furnishings

In anticipation of my new green slate worktops arriving I decided to smarten up my existing soft furnishings in the kitchen.  This old oven glove was looking shabby until I covered it with a green leafy fabric (William Morris design).  I just placed it on a single layer of the fabric and drew around it leaving a seam allowance all around the edge.  I then did the same again for the middle section and then for the pocket bits. With right sides together I machine stitched the parts together leaving openings where the pockets start.  After trimming the edges and snipping the curves I turned the entire thing the right way around and inserted the old oven glove.  Some top stitching finished off the pocket openings and all around the edge.

I have a bit of a soft spot for William Morris fabrics and therefore I tend to collect off cuts whenever available.  Whilst searching for something suitable I found that I had only enough of this Blackthorn design to make half of the seat covers for the old foam cushions on my kitchen chairs.  So, I used a co-ordinating gingham fabric for the other side.  Winter and Summer!

Looking at these photos I just realised that I should probably have ironed the fabric, but I think that there is always something better to do than iron, don't you agree?

2 comments:

  1. How gorgeous. I'm a William Morris addict too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I've got a lot of bits of William Morris fabric on the shelves but I don't like to cut into them in case I may want to use them for something else, silly really because if I do use them in my home I will still be able to look at them every day.

    ReplyDelete