Wednesday 30 October 2013

Warmth at Last


From this ... to this ...  with a few swings of the axe (well quite a lot of swings actually)

 I thought that I would get prepared for lighting our new fire - at the last house we used to chop kindling on a daily basis - as and when we needed it but this time I thought I would have a good stash all ready - there's nothing more satisfying, believe me!

James finished the heating system at the weekend.  This wood burning stove heats up the water in a large thermal store which then circulates around the underfloor heating pipes that run all around the house.  Each room has a thermostatic zone valve which means we can choose to heat which rooms we like at varying temperatures - clever stuff.  It also means that there's no Gas bill!  However, lots of storing and carrying wood required, but we don't mind - it's a natural instinct and rather comforting to light your own fire for warmth.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love your stove! I am quite green with envy at the thought of having warm floors and not needing to wear two pairs of woolly socks inside my sheepskin boots all winter. It sounds like a wonderful heating system. Chopping kindling really is satisfying, isn't it? We have 6 wooden pallets stacked in our garden (from the brick and tile deliveries) just awaiting the axe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got it sorted out just in time, it's turned really cold recently hasn't it? I'm glad someone else has wooden pallets stacked in their garden, it comforts me to know you're out there chopping wood when I am!

    ReplyDelete