Friday 21 September 2012

Birthday Bernina, Baskets and Bins

Here are three new things begining with 'B' 
I almost forgot to show you the birthday card that I made for Emily a couple of days ago.  She's crazy about Liberty fabrics and so I thought it would be a nice touch to use some of her favourite fabric and machine stitch it onto a card in the shape of her new sewing machine.  It's the first time that I've tried this technique and it's rather wobbly but I'm going to practice with some other designs as well and maybe create some appropriate ones for the rest of my family.

There's a lovely little second hand shop near the museum where I often browse at lunch time, it's called the 'Nutshell' and has 4 or 5 tiny rooms full of ever changing treasures.  I found these lovely baskets in the shop this week for a couple of pounds each and thought that they would be perfect for storage in my new sewing room.  Transport home was tricky as I was on my bike!
When organising my new sewing room (which I'll show you tomorrow), I realised that I didn't have a waste bin - so I made one.  I found a piece of strong furnishing fabric that had a sort of basket weave and just cut out a rectangle, sewed the two short sides together to make a cylinder, sewed a circle to the bottom and hemmed the top edge which folds over to make it more sturdy.  Hey Presto! a new bin in 10 minutes.  It's just the right size to fit a plastic carrier bag inside which will be re-used many times as it's only for scraps of fabric and thread.  I considered myself very thrifty this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment