Friday 23 November 2012

William Morris and a bit more Tweed


I've just finished sewing lots of these little cosmetic bags for our Christmas fair at the Museum tomorrow.  I'm really lucky in that I live only 20 miles away from a factory that prints these William Morris fabrics; they have a mill shop that sells remnants and also fabric by the metre that perhaps has a little mis-print or colour problem, however that's fine for small items as I can always avoid the bits I don't want. 

When I was visiting there a couple of days ago with one of my daughters we spotted this wonderful linen union that had a small mis-print just down one side close to the selvedge. We were looking for something for her sitting room curtains and so this was perfect as I just made them a couple of inches less wide - there were still plenty of gathers, plus a bit left over for a couple of cushions. How exciting to own a pair of Morris curtains at the age of 23!
I'm afraid this photo doesn't do the fabric justice as the lighting was poor, but it is a very rich deep red that says 'warm and cosy'.  I can't wait to see the Christmas tree up; the red, gold and green will look fabulous all together.

And here are a few more zipped cases that I made with some narrow pieces of tweed fabric that were left over from my recent shoulder bags session. Again, sorry for the bad lighting, I usually photograph outside but it hasn't stopped raining for what seems like years, anyway hopefully they will sell at the fair tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment