Friday 15 March 2013

Fountain Pen

When sorting through some old stuff a few months ago I came across a Parker fountain pen that used to belong to my mum.  I unscrewed the lid and was reminded that it hadn't worked for years because the nib was bent.  Anyway, whilst in Kendal last week I noticed a sign hanging above an alleyway that mentioned 'old pens' that I'd never seen before.  I ventured along the narrow alleyway and up a staircase into a tiny shop; it was filled with glass fronted cabinets full of ink pens through the ages.
When I showed my pen to the elderly gentleman there he said that replacing the nib wouldn't be appropriate because the soul of the pen was in the nib and therefore to discard it would be like discarding all the words it had ever written, and besides that it was 14 carat gold.  However, he did say that he would try to straighten it and when I called in later he had proved to be successful and I was able to write with it once more.
I bought a lovely bottle of sepia coloured ink and from then onwards everything from shopping lists to reminder notes have been scribed by this beautiful pen.

1 comment:

  1. 'to discard it would be like discarding all the words it had ever written'

    What a beautiful thing to say and how true in this age of computers. I hope the pen inspires you to greatness.

    ReplyDelete