Thursday 16 May 2013

A Fair Exchange

Recently I made a couple of bags for a friend and as I don't like to take money from friends we did a swap.  You can't beat a good old fashioned barter!  I'd suggested to her that I wanted to try my hand at weaving and so if she had any left over bits of yarn they would be appreciated.  However, I wasn't prepared for the amount she had spare.  Carole is a very prolific knitter and I was over the moon with the stash she gave me - this is a very deep basket as well!

So, because I couldn't decide what to make from my recent purchase of linen (beautiful, lovely linen) I got to work sorting out the wool.  First I put it into colour groups, then changed to types, ie wool, boucle, cotton, manmade etc. then finally settled on just groups of what looked pleasing together.
Unable to stop there - the night was still young - I started to crotchet.  Using four strands together and a 8mm hook it only took a couple of evenings to produce this little blanket.  It's simply done in trebles and when one colour ran out I just introduced another one.

It's just a rectangle of wooly colours that suggest tweed to me.  I thought it would be nice to sit on in the garden on the stone steps - a bit of padded warmth with my elevenses.  It was so therapeutic that I want to make another one - maybe greens and browns next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment