Monday 27 May 2013

Linen Tunic

After a lot of deliberation I decided to use my bargain blue linen for a sort of tunic top.  It has a scoop neck, three quarter length sleeves, side slits at the hemline and a large patch pocket - useful for a large handkerchief when my hay fever starts!  It's quite a loose fit but that's good for layering throughout different seasons, and the shape is not very flattering - more of a comfy, pottering about garment, but I think I'll get a lot of wear out of it - I'm good at pottering. 

Notice how I joined some small bits together for the pocket, so as not to cut a chunk from the rest of the spare fabric; there's just enough for something else to be made from it.  Also, I couldn't resist making some spotty bias binding for the neckline, a bit of hidden fun!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE this - it's just perfect, especially the big patch pocket! (Yes, I always need a hay fever hankie pocket too; am presently wearing a pinafore with two big pockets). This is the ideal everyday top for 'pottering', just as you said.

    I wonder is the pattern from your Japanese book (and are those Japanese patterns too petite for a big boned Celt)?

    Anyway, well done - you've made great use of your lovely bargain fabric.

    N x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you
      Yes, once again I used the Japanese pattern book, in fact I haven't used anything else since I got it last year.
      I used the sleeve from the wrap around dress and the sleeveless tunic pattern (but made it a bit longer).
      The sizes are XS, S, M and L so cover a good range. It's a highly recommended book, you just have to make sure to add a seam allowance to everything, unlike most commercial patterns.

      Delete