Saturday 12 October 2013

William Morris Vine

I went to visit my friend yesterday and took my camera so that I could show you my latest make.  She moved to a wonderful house about 2 years ago that used to be partly a joiners workshop as well as the living accommodation.  It is on many different levels with some very interesting features.  It is quite extensive and they have renovated every room; I have been the 'curtain and blind maker'.  When the last room had been dressed I had thought that my work was over until Gill said "do you make loose covers for chairs?"  Now, I have done lots for myself over the years but never for anyone else so I was a bit scared in case it didn't fit properly - I can put up with little faults in my own products but I like things to be right for others.

So, having decided to take on the challenge I cut into the fabric and here it is.  I have to admit that it was very tricky, so many different angles and getting the right pattern balance of the fabric with it being a large design; it is a William Morris fabric that was designed in the Arts and Crafts era but still produced today.   We were very pleased with the finished product, so I can relax again now!

Gill has a sewing machine but just needed a bit of encouragement to use it again, so I then showed her how to insert a zip and make a cushion cover in some of the left over fabric.  This is the result that she sewed all by herself - I think it looks fabulous - well done!
Next we went onto pillow cases and she was so enthusiastic that I imagine the next time I visit the house will be full of her own creations!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! The perfect chair in which to snuggle up with a good book on a wintry evening.

    ReplyDelete