Monday 11 November 2013

Plum Chutney

Whilst at the supermarket the other day I came across 2 large bags of plums that were reduced to 49 pence - I couldn't walk past them because Plum Chutney came in to my mind.  Armed with my fruit, some onions and a bottle of vinegar I looked through some recipe books and struggled to find a suitable recipe, until, I rediscovered one of my Grandma's old books.

The recipe goes like this:
4 pounds plums - chopped
1 pound onions - chopped
half pint of vinegar
1 and half pounds sugar
half pound dates or raisins
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons mixed spice
Put all ingredients together in large pan, bring to boil and then simmer for approx. 2 hours until thickened.
Pour into sterilised jars and store for 2 months before eating.

I think the camera lens was covered with steam at this point !

And here we are.  Loads of chutney to keep us going all year - as long as I don't give it away for Christmas.  We'll see how it matures!

2 comments:

  1. Your plum chutney does look absolutely delicious! Looking at the steamy picture I felt sure I could smell it.....! Yum! Actually this made me chuckle as you and I seem to have parallell lives at present; building projects, house refurbishment, chopping lots of kindling and now making preserves (now if only I was such a prolific seamstress as you!). In recent weeks we've made plum chutney too, pumpkin & orange jam, tomato jam, beetroot relish, apple chutney and I think my favourite so far was red onion and tomato pickle because it makes the perfect sandwich on homemade granary bread with a nice chunk of Cheddar cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we do seem to be living parallel lives don't we?
      Your store cupboard must be over flowing, it reminds me of a Milly Molly Mandy story where their pantry is also full of jars of preserves. Also, it brings to mind a Brambly Hedge story of stocking up for the cold months ahead. I'm hungry now!

      Delete