Saturday 7 December 2013

Christmas Door Wreath

I gathered some holly and some ivy this morning to make a Christmas door wreath, however the holly was far too prickly so I discarded it and just used the two different types of ivy.  The base is just a circlet of dried clematis stalks that my mum made for me 12 years ago - I can't believe it is still so sturdy after coming out every Christmas since then. 
To decorate the wreath I place the circlet on the table and lay the ivy around the top of it so it is completely covered.  I then use a strong black sewing thread to wind around and around it all.  I have some fir cones that I wrapped wire around the base of and these are just poked through in various positions and the wire bent over at the back.  A few artificial berries and a large red bow complete the picture.

James wasn't very pleased about having to put a nail to hang the wreath in his newly made front door, but I said Christmas wouldn't be the same without it, it had to be done!!
Whilst taking a photo of the wreath I thought I would show you our new door handle too - it's rather lovely isn't it, it took us ages to choose!

And here's another Christmassy photo - just because I think it looks pretty.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely wreath, looks very organic and rather pagan. I like your door handle very much and oh - those candlesticks are quite amazing!
    Have a Merry Yuletide :-)
    N x

    ReplyDelete